Saturday, December 13, 2008

New Pictures and Updates from Fri and Sat

Sorry this update is late... it has been an adjustment around here getting home! But I was released yesterday evening, so we had the difficult task of leaving our girl at the hosp. Thankfully, I was so excited to be home with Reagan, and she was just as excited to have us home! It made it ok somewhat.

These pics are from yesterday. Before we left, we got to see B a couple of times, and got to hold her AND feed her! She was a champ, especially for never having eaten in her WHOLE LIFE! Then, we snuggled and she slept. Sweet angel.
She took 40cc's the first feeding in the morning, then 50 the next!!! They were pleased since it was her first day.

Reagan was never a bottle feeder, so this was even new to me!!
They had just taken off her oxygen cannula thing, so the tape left its mark again. Poor red cheeks!

As for more updates, they said last night that she had a harder time with her feedings. Evidently the more volume in her ventricles in her brain is affecting how coordinated she is with the whole eating thing. So, they put a feeding tube in her nose just in case, but never had to use it today! Her day nurse today, Margie, is a champ and B must like performing for her! Anyways, when we were there for her 6:00 feeding, she let me try and B had a hard time again. She said it was still the expected thing for our girl who needs a shunt, so I let her finish her feed. Poor Mommy was a bit emotional after B's lips turned blue while I fed her!! So I was happy to let Margie do it. But she took 60cc's in the end, so that was great! The neurology resident also let us know this morning that they might do her shunt today... he wanted the attending to see her. When the attending came by, he said it was still worth it to try and wait until Monday. We're glad I guess, but knowing she needs it makes me want to do it and get it overwith!!! Poor baby needs her mushroom head to go away! But I'm confident they are watching her closely and will do what is best. Margie said to not be surprised if they do it tomorrow, so I will keep you all posted. For now, we are going with Monday and the "wait and see" thing. OH! They are also putting a cath in every 8 hours... with the only purpose so far being that they are measuring how much tinkle she leaves in her bladder after she goes in her diaper. Everyone leaves some in their bladder... spina bifida babies often leave too much when they go. So they continue to weigh her tinkle diapers and are keeping track of her tinkle from the caths... that way the urologist can better assess her history of all this in a few days. Then we'll better know if she needs the caths or not to help out her tinkle habits. So that is her potty update. :) We'll go up again in the morning, get more info, and take Reagan for Sibling Day. Until then, here are cute pictures of her eyes open this afternoon. She doesn't look like newborn Reagan at all to me anymore! She is her own kid I guess! But man, SO FREAKIN' CUTE if I do say so myself!!!

This look is like "Seriously Daddy, enough with the pics!!"

This is the very happy Mommy! And partly (selfishly) because my swollen face is going down a bit! :) Yay for that.
Thanks again for all the prayers for our girl. Things aren't perfect, but nothing unexpected. Keep praying!!!!!!!!!! Specifically for her shunt surgery to do the trick, for her caths to not be necessary in the future, and for her to eat better and better each day. Thanks... we love you!





16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi this is Brooke. You all and especially precious Brooklyn have been so much in our prayers. Watching and hearing what is going on with your little girl stirs all of the feelings and emotions from the birth of Maggie back up. I am so glad Brooklyn seems to be doing so well. If you need anything call me or text (my phone was stolen so I no longer have you number.) I know you have a great resource in Amie as a wise NICU counsel, but having just lived through the closure and shunt, I maybe able answer some of your anexity questions.
Kim Bell was right shunts are no big deal; you will be amazed at the difference in your kiddo. We love you all and if we can do anything to help you, please let us know.

Adam and Kristen (or doodle for some) said...

Jodi, she is SO CUTE!! I'm so glad things are going as planned right now, and we're praying that they go EVEN BETTER!!

Alicia said...

That is all great news! She is a cutie.. I am going to try and call you tomorrow. :)

Tracy said...

Thanks for the updates :) We're continuing to pray for all of yall.

She is soooo cute!!! You know how newborns kind of look funny at first? :) Well, not her. She is such a cutie. I think she looks like R in the very first picture...that was my first thought when I saw it.

Have fun tomorrow at Sibling Day!!!

Stacia said...

Love all the pictures with her eyes open! She is so cute :-) I'm glad you got to go home, I know Reagan is happy to have you there. B is such a trooper with her eating!! Keep up all the good work. Thank you for all the posting and updates. Continuing to pray!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

You know what's funny, even before you mentioned the swelling I thought to myself, "Jodi's face is going down, I bet this makes her happy!" And then you mentioned it at the end. Hee! Hee! We still have a bit of our ESP thing going on.

Good news for Brooklyn! I know going home was not easy and one day soon we will all celebrate with your sweet babies homecoming!

Kendra said...

She is so cute! I love the pictures of her gazing up at yall. Thank you for the updates.

Meredith said...

Jodi, Brooklyn is so beautiful. Thanks for the update and for the specific things that we can be praying for.

Melissa Taylor said...

We are excited about her progress, and we are still praying for her. She is a beautiful baby. You guys did good!

Ashley said...

Love you and praying for you!

Marcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcia said...

Jodi she is so pretty! I think I can see a bit of R in the 1st photo?!?!? We are praying for your princess! Love yall

Brandi said...

Jodi, she is so absolutely adorable! I love the pics with her eyes open. Glad to hear that things are going as expected. Sending lots of love and prayers for all of you!

*Kendra* said...

Love the pictures! I was trying to decide who she looks like....nope, not really like Reagan. Does she look like you or David's baby pictures? She's precious. Can't wait to kiss her! :)

Julie said...

Oh she reminds me a lot of R!! So stinkin cute. Lots of prayers. LU

Rachel said...

So precious! Need more close-ups! I hope her shunt procedure went well. We are praying - even Roselyn remembers to pray for baby Brooklyn every night. Love you!