Friday, December 09, 2011

Can't Believe She's THREE!

I am pretty sure it was... um... yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital.  Seriously.
How all of the sudden my BABY is turning THREE is beyond me. 
It has been an amazing third-year-in-the-life-of-Brooklyn, one where I sit back and look at the last twelve months and just MARVEL.  Actually, the last 36 months.  God is carrying His Good Work on to completion everyday with her, and it is my absolutely privilege to watch and be a part of it.  Truly!
~
A year ago, Brooklyn could speak one syllable.  ONE.  Six months ago, she started forming more and more syllables.  Today, she talks in full paragraphs.  Take THAT, you silly appraxia!  (she does still sign occasionally.  I sign TO her a lot, just so she'll remember it.)  Last Monday, she officially graduated from speech therapy... which leave us THERAPY-FREE.  Unreal!  I don't think I ever posted this: back in October, she had her official testing for PPCD, the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities, with the school district here. (Since she was two months old, she has been in a therapy program called Early Childhood Intervention, or ECI.  At age three, kids age-out of ECI into PPCD.)  Kids like Brooklyn with spina bifida or other special needs get to go to preschool and receive therapies at the same time.  BUT NOT MY BROOKIE!  Her testing was over 2 hours, and she tested at age level or above in ALL categories... including gross-motor skills and speech!!!  And the only thing that counted against her in gross-motor was that she has to have the braces to keep her legs straight.  :)  The testing coordinator came up to me afterwards and said, "Well, Mom, we won't be seeing you again here... she rocked it."  Music to my ears.  So, she will keep going to preschool she loves, and should start Kindergarten in 2 1/2 years just like every other kid her age!
~
Potty training is something we aren't ready to tackle, but maybe this summer.  She does recognize that her peers are starting to go potty, so she asks to "potty" a lot . Thankfully that can mean sit on the seat, fully-clothed, and she is thrilled with it!  She'll tell her teachers when she's "done" and goes about her day.  :)  As for now, it doesn't seem to bother her one bit that she still wears diapers, so we'll stick with what works for awhile.  This may prove to be her biggest challenge eventually, but we'll see when the time comes. 
~
In August, we ditched the pacifier for sleeping.  This past week, we moved B into her big girl bed.  She sleeps in a princess tent, just like sister, that she got for her birthday (for this purpose!).  She still loves her Purple, and she also has a special place in her heart for Elephant and Minnie.  Her favorite food, besides ice cream and cake, is fruit of ANY kind.  Her favorite song is Blues Skies And Rainbows, but she loves to sing just about anything (except when I ask her to on command!).  She is proving to be quite the little comedian... I think she definitely has her Daddy's quick wit.  She absolutely LOVES making people laugh, and she's darn good at it.  She's sharp as a tack and never misses a THING, plus, at three, is really starting to try my patience for the first time ever.  :)  I'm totally ok with it, it's age appropriate.... meaning her little brain is working like it should and she's right on track!  The doc says to remind myself that when she ACTS like a two/three year old, to be GLAD.  I'm working on it.  But it is hard to be frustrated for long since she knows exactly how to make me smile again.  :)
~
I'm reminded every single day that God has huge plans for our Brooklyn Hope.  Shoot, the doctors thought she would never BE here, and just look at her!  BIG PLANS!  She is pure joy, delight, and Life personified, and I am so blessed to be her Mommy.  She's changed me, the way I look at the world.  And I'm better in countless ways because of her.
I love you to bits, Doodle Bug.
Happy Birthday!
~
Her third year in pictures:
January, just starting walking
 February
 March, signing "strawberry" at the patch
 April
 May
 June
 July
 August
 September, her first day ever of school

 October
 November
 December, in her new bed
Brooklyn's continued story is your story too, if you are reading this.  You've prayed for her, blessed her beyond measure.  Thank you for being a part of who she is becoming.
Happy Birthday, sweet baby girl!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What a blessing to go through this journey with your sweet family! I am thankful that you blog so that we can keep up with you and your sweet sweet family. Love that she is above and beyond what they thought she would be! Answered prayer, love it!!!

Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful Brooklyn Hope!! And what awesome news about therapy. I remember when we first "met" you were just staring your speech therapy journey. I can't tell you how much enouragment I get from seeing your Brooklyn "rock" all that she does. It honestly makes me giddy. And those eyes?? MELT.MY.HEART. Seriously, gorgeous. What a journey this is, but Mama, you are doing awesome. Just look at that smile...it tells the whole story. HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

I just read today's post and the three previous birthday posts... while praying and crying and praying and crying. I am so thankful for our precious Brooklyn. Brookie Brook, you are a joy beyond my ability to say! Grandmommy and I love you to pieces!!
your granddaddy

Rachel said...

I love your blogspot! What a blessing your family & Brooklyn have been to my life as well. God does have great plans for you all! Much love to you now & always.