Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Brooklyn's Voice

I've had a few requests for video of Brooklyn's signing and her talking.
Today, sweet girl said a new "word," which is ALWAYS cause for celebration in our house!
She said "uh-oh."  Not by accident either... said it over and over and over again.  It sounds more like "uh-ow", but we don't care.  :)
So as I am doing a celebratory dance for that little victory this evening (and the victory of paying off David's student loan today!!  Unrelated, but still so exciting!!!), figured I would finally post a few videos for your viewing pleasure.  Mostly of her talking.  She is amazing at ASL, but it is so much our normal around here that I forget to video it.  But the talking thing is the super duper stuff for her, so here are some examples.  And I just love her little voice. 
~
This is a word that only shows up every once in awhile, but this was the day after we first heard it.  She chooses to eat off of this plate quite often, probably because she likes the "Bab" (crab) on it.  She is also signing it, except it is actually supposed to be both hands crossed in front with the pincher motion.  She doesn't do that part yet.  :)  It's tricky.

Here was the day a couple weeks ago when she let us know "Who's the guy you need to know when you've got a place to go" on Dora.  I cried, I was so excited!  She pointed him out all on her own the first time, rather loudly (Brooklyn is RARELY quiet), then Reagan kept asking her for it over and over.

Here is a compilation of all the other words she can say up until today.  Posted especially for Vesti.  :)  Except for as of last Monday, she now calls me "Momma" instead of "Mom."  Two syllables!  WAHOO!!  Anyways, we have our little "moments" while she is laying on the changing table... one of the few times a day when she is somewhat still!  So, I get her "talking" or singing during those moments.  I can't believe she performed this well for my camera last week!  We still have work to do on her ABCs, but for little 2 year old fingers, it's pretty darn good I think!!!  Most importantly, she remembers them and recognizes the written letters as well.  Smarty pants, I just love her to bits.

~
I'm often asked how long we expect speech to be an issue for her.  The answer is we have no idea.  Some of you that are reading this know TONS more about this than I do.  But from what I understand, this appraxia that she is unofficially diagnosed with (but probably has in full-force) can be really tricky.  Could be years before she catches up... sweet girl.  And the thing I am starting to hate the most about it is that she KNOWS she can't talk yet.  She knows.  And it frustrates her.  Which is hard.  But ASL has saved us, and now we are starting to combine that with some picture books for communication as well.  (We are also well aware that for as much as could be happening with her, if speaking is the biggest deal we've got, she's a-ok!)  So... thankfully she is NOT behind on her language for her age, just behind on her speech.  We are of course very confident that God has HUGE plans for her, whether she has to talk with her hands or not!!!  Thanks for the continued prayers for Brooklyn.  She has come SO far, and we are so proud!!!

5 comments:

Vesti said...

I LOVE IT!!!! SHE.IS.AMAZING! And, I know adults who can't do the alphabet that well! :) Love that sweet little voice, and can't wait to hear more of it!

Tricia said...

That was beautiful, thanks for sharing. Sure miss seeing your mom! Please say hello for me. Tricia from LifeSynch.

Ashley said...

I can't wait to meet her and so some signing!

Amber said...

I love that second video, it cracks me up!!!!!

Emily said...

Awesome! Love her sweet little voice. :) Miss you all