Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thursday Thoughts


Most of us blogger-types spend lots of time at the computer. I have mine up all day, and stop by off and on throughout the day to read what my friends are up to. But that time adds up. I also make wonderful use of my DVR (no more Oprah though, Susan!) to make sure I take the time to catch up on my "shows." Thanks to some encouragement by friends (and cousin-friends!) and some serious YANKING on my heart from the Lord, I am now taking more time to be in the Scriptures than I have in quite some time. And let me tell you, it makes such a difference. I don't think I can go a day without praying, but I have gone a month at a time before (maybe two!) without taking out time for studying my Bible. How wrong is that?!?! So, I'm back to a Beth Moore book, Jesus The One and Only, and going through the book of Luke. Not only does it get me back to the story of my First Love, but it has Acts as a sequel that I can go right into after this! Hopefully on Thursdays I'll remember to share with my friends some of what God has put on my heart from the Word during the week. If not, bug me about it!
-
I was reading the story of "Martha Martha" in Luke 10 early this past week. It is a story of priorities, and man, did that hit home. I make so many things a priority that don't need to be! Distractions of house and home and parenting and marriage can all be good things, but He wants me to CHOOSE as "Mary has chosen (Luke 10:42)" to put the right thing first. Beth puts things in a simple language that I can understand. She says about this passage... "Many things are important, but only one thing is necessary.... Ultimately our relationship with Christ is the one thing we cannot do without." Yes, my house has been a wreck all week. I haven't felt that great and Reagan has watched a couple extra Dora episodes while we cuddled resting on the couch. I'm behind on laundry. Blah blah blah. But I can honestly say that I feel ok about it... God touched me through His Word everyday this week. And that is THE priority I hope to maintain! (but yes, I am getting caught up on laundry today too.)
-
So, those of you in this journey with me, Beth has some encouragement from her book that I will pass on. "Here's a little fresh motivation: Deut 29:29 says that the truths God reveals to you are yours forever! You are allowing God to inscribe His words on the tablets of your heart. Scripture is literally becoming part of you. That's what Christ meant when He instructed us to let His word "abide" in us (John 15:7). The same passage also tells us that His abiding Word transforms our prayer lives. Beloved, the intense study of God's Word has mammoth effects. You may be the last to notice them in yourself, but I assure you, Scripture never returns void! God has a specific purpose for this study in your life. Let Him have His awesome way."
-
So, like some of those other blog posts say, I am "tagging" all who read this to post a Thursday Thought of your own from what God has revealed to you this week! Or a Friday Feeling, or a Saturday Scripture, whatever.... :) May God bless the reading and sharing of His Word!

10 comments:

Amber said...

I love your thoughts and I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling great. It's ok to get behind on laundry and for your house to be a wreck. That's all temporary, you'll be caught up again one day!

Tabby said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I really like Beth Moore, too. She just has a no-nonsense way of putting things, doesn't she? My mom gave me her study "A Heart Like His" for Christmas, and I have listened to some of those, but have not finished yet. It is really good so far.

Have a great weekend! And thanks for posting a "Thursday Thought"! :)

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

You are so precious! I am very proud of you for spending time with your first love. My favorite time of the day is my quiet time, God ALWAYS shows me just what I need for that day. There is strength in those scriptures so hold steadfast to that. My time in the WOrd is the only thing keeping me from going insane at this stage of my life and God has been good-even on those days I don't give Him the time He deserves.

love you
susan

Marcia said...

Thanks for posting that Jodi.. It is so easy to lose track of your priorities!! First being God

Stacia said...

That was a wonderful post! I really needed that today because I was just about to start going insane on myself tonight about the laundry and chores that I've let go this week. The important thing is that I've studied EVERY night! I haven't done that in years. I'll have to definatly go look for the Beth Moore book (if Tabby likes her too she must be good!).
P.S. I've been lurking on your blog for a while and your little Reagen is precious!

Amy Pennington said...

Jodi,

I was blog hopping today and came across Marcia's blog and she mentioned yours. I don't know if you know from Julie and Marcia, but my husband and I left mormonism at the beginning of this year. I have since become a Christian and my husband is a non believer at this point. Anyways, I have dived in head first into God's word and really am touched by your post. I attend a bible study every weds. and we are reading Beth Moore's book about Jesus the one and only also. It has been incredible for me and my journey.
I have dealt with a lot of religious persecution for leaving the mormons, but nothing compares to the love I have received from my father in heaven. I know I am sharing a lot of personal stuff....but I feel like your post topic invites this very faith building communication. I would love for you to visit my new blog

www.ourdamfam.blogspot.com

and I hope you don't mind me checking in to read your thursday thoughts:) well I have lost my train of thought so I will look forward to hearing from you sometime. take care!

Anonymous said...

The Word was, the Word is, and the Word will be!
Great post, Jodi! I needed that yesterday and today!
-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Just this week Christy & I were discussing the direction of next year's bible study and are strongly considering Beth Moore's study "Breaking Free". I can not recall all the B. M. studies I have completed. Her in-depth studies weave the O.T. & N.T together to give me a greater understanding of subjects new to me. The last one I finished with me sister in Kansas (we would do the lesson together on the phone about 4 days a week) A Woman's Heart - God's Dwelling Place studied the Tabernacle. It was exciting to meet God and my sister regularly to go deeper into the Word!

I always love keeping up with your blog and your beautiful family. God Bless You Richly

Unknown said...

Jodi, Hey I recently found your blog. I know it has been a long long long time. But I still think of you often. My, My how life has changed in 11 years!!!! Your blog is wonderful and I enjoyed reading it today. And Regan is a doll!!!
Love, Chris(Sherrill)Ballard

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I love reading other people's tag stuff, so there! Seriously, though, thanks so much for sharing about your study lately and offering a challenge to us all. Love you!