Monday, October 01, 2007

Sweet Granddaddy

My sweet Granddaddy went to heaven last night after 87 years. He is so lucky. I just picture him dancing. Granddaddy loves to dance.
As hard as the last week has been on all of us, he has been the best he's been in a long time. And now, he truly is at his best. I am so thankful for that... he doesn't have to hurt anymore. My Granddaddy was strong and gentle, honest and loving, fun and firm, and Christ-like in countless ways. If you know my Daddy... well, my Daddy is just like Granddaddy. Enough said.
I'm not at home, so I don't have the pictures I want to put on here. But here are two I do have that are just how I picture him.

Words fail me. I keep thinking I want to write out this fabulous tribute, but it wouldn't do any justice anyways. Never was much of a writer! But I smile at every thought and every memory of this wonderful man who taught our whole family the true meaning of unconditional love. He never let us doubt for a minute how much he loved his family. He gave the wettest of kisses... right on the mouth! He couldn't help himself... that's how Granddaddy loved.
We love you Granddaddy. We miss you. We'll take good care of Grandmommy. You rest easy, and keep dancing til we see you again. For my sweet friends, thank you for your love and continued prayers especially this week. Love to all.

11 comments:

Kendra said...

Jodi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandaddy! I know how much you loved him and talked about him. God will be with him and he will watch you raise a beautiful daughter with much love.

Let us know if you need anything.

Love, Kendra

Tracy said...

I heard the news about Grandaddy going to heaven last night. I am sorry for your loss...but you know he's in a much better place and is not hurting. He is up in heaven with my Papaw :) There won't be a day that goes by that you don't think about him, but just know that you will see him again one day and you will get those wet kisses again. He is happy where he is at. I know we all want our grandparents to live forever...but wow, 87 years! What a wonderful, long life! Really..we couldnt ask for much more. :)

I'm sorry for your hurt and I hope that you will be comforted knowing where he is now and knowing that you will see him again.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I heard the song "Dancing with Angels" by Monk and Meagle tonight. It was such an encouragment to me when my grandmother died. to realize that yes, she was dancing with angels. I am sure that granddaddy is doing the same. I love you sweet friend, I will get over there soon to your parents so I can hug your sweet neck. We are praying for you all! esp Grandmommy-I know this won't be easy!

XOXOXO
Susan

Rachel said...

I think your post was a sweet tribute. He knows you love him. I love you and I'm so sorry. Give your family my love.
Rachel

Brenda said...

My sweet Jodi, you said you were not much of a writer but from one math person to another - you articulated your feelings perfectly. Your grandaddy left a HUGE heritage for you - one that I see lived out in his children, grandchildren and now great-grandchildren. Consider it an honor to be part of his legacy! Your are all truly blessed and I know now, hurting very badly. It will get better in time, but the hole in your heart will always be there. I love you and all your sweet family.

Melissa Taylor said...

So sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose those people that mean so much to you - we just went through that too. Heaven is lucky to have him!

Anonymous said...

"My cup OVERFLOWS. Surely GOODNESS and LOVE will Follow Me ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE. AND I WILL DWELL in the HOUSE of the LORD FOR-EVER!"
The last of Psalms 23. He took care of his every need up until his last breathe. You all being there by his side b4 he left you was his cup full. Your Grandmommy giving him permission to go to heaven-so sweet and sad-is his cup overflowing. Living a full life of love and having that love follow him up until his death is triumphant. What a lesson to teach our children. Your family has a light that has always shone brightly. Thank you for that. We love you and are happy for you that you have the peace of knowing where your Grandaddy is.
Christy & Adam

Mauri said...

Sweet Friend, I'm so sorry for your loss but rejoice with you and the angels as he has now returned home! But I know how hard it can be for those left behind, so know your precious family is in my prayers!

Love you, Mauri

jaymie said...

You've been on my mind so much these last couple of days. Know that we love you and are thankful for Granddaddy's sweet Jodi! I love you and your whole family.

Blake, Kenzie, Wyatt and Walker said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your family is in our prayers!

Ashley said...

Oh, I am sorry friend. I know that is so hard. Wow, 87 years. What a legacy!