Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

Today, Oprah is having a special entitled "The Children of 9/11." I'm DVR-ing it and am going to force myself to watch it, although I may not make it through it. This day means something different to me now as a Mom. I'm pretty sure I know why, although I can't put it into words I don't think. But it is such a reminder of how fragile life is, and how important it is to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. Do you remember all the Flags that were on everyone's cars and lapels in those following weeks? How bonded everyone was? Wish it didn't take tragedy to do that...
Anyway, this 2007 morning I was remembering that morning 6 years ago. That's when I was sick, so I was up early for Daddy to take me to 2 different lab appointments for blood work and junk. I was watching the Today show live that morning, eating breakfast by myself, and was shocked with the rest of the world when the second plane hit. I'm sure we all remember where we were and what we felt. So surreal.
So, I looked at my cousin Julie's blog this morning and saw she was also remembering back. As I read her words and saw her pictures, I thought I would have to just paste in what she wrote. I loved reading her thoughts, and hope you might be blessed as I was.
"I Can Only Imagine..."
Today is a heavy topic. 9/11. September 11th. We can all remember exactly where we were, what we were doing, when we saw that attack 6 years ago. I was pregnant with Carter, watching Katie and Matt on the Today Show.
I have to say that I can't watch the replays of the events of that day. I can't look at pictures, or listen to the heart-ripping stories of people who lost their loved ones. So, over the last several years I have tried to find what this event means to me. How can I deal with it?

Many of you know that Rudy worked in Manhattan for over two years and was transferred just 12months before that attacks. But having worked in NYC, he had lots of friends there and I remember him frantically calling each of them to check on them. After several hours, all were accounted for except his friend Cheryl's fiance, Paul Eckna. Paul worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and was never heard from. He was among the murdered.
So... Over the years I know that the Lord has given me a clear picture of in my head of what I like to think happened. While the world might remember pictures of smoke pouring out of the buildings, I envision what was happening inside. And as I play this mental movie, I always hear that song "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.

I picture a great coming to the Lord. I picture people knowing their fate and preaching the good news of Jesus. I picture hundreds seeing the truth and confessing their sins and giving their lives to Christ. Did you ever read the "Left Behind" series? You know where Chloe is about to die and an Angel of the Lord appears? The Angel's light was piercing white and it shielded the world from seeing the horror that was to happen to Chloe, but the light also enveloped Chloe with the peace and love of Jesus. That's what I think of when I think of 9/11. The angels were there sheilding some from seeing the horror, but bringing with them the grace of Jesus.

Was Jesus physically right there?

How many Angels were there?

Was did the witnessing sound like?

What praises were being shouted out to his name?

Was there singing?

How many saw the Truth?

Who was called to step up and lead others to Christ?I can't pretend that I know what happened. I can't even begin to imagine what those people went through in the Twin Towers, on the planes, and at the Pentagon. But I do know that Jesus was there! That's what I choose to concentrate on. I choose to think about how many eternal lives were saved that day.

Just my thoughts... I pray that no one was offended. This is the only way that I can cope with the magnitude of this tragedy.

"Surrounded by Your glory,what will my heart feel?

Will I dance for you Jesus

or in awe of you be still?

Will I stand in your presence

or to my knees will I fall?

Will I sing hallelujah,

will I be able to speak at all

I can only imagine"

Now, go hug your loved ones. Tell them today that you love them and just how precious they are to you!! I have to say...I can only imagine what I will do when I am in the presence of the Lord, but I think I fall in his presence and then dance and tumble and sing!! What will you do?

Thank you Julie for giving me a new picture in my head for this day. My heart feels better.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love you!! Thanks for being my Earthly and Eternal friend!
J

Tracy said...

LOVE that!

Brandi said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing Jodi and Julie.