Saturday, November 10, 2012

Shuttle Flyover

This fun day was at the end of September, but I still want it documented even if it is late!!!  Reagan had a random Wednesday off from school.  And it just so happened that it was the same morning that the space shuttle Endeavor was to fly from Florida to it's permanent home in California.  As a courtesy to disgruntled Houstonians who still don't understand why Houston doesn't get to keep a shuttle (don't get me started!), they added a few hours to Endeavor's travel plans and did some flyovers in our city.  I probably would have kept R out of school to see it, but I didn't have to!  So we went and got some breakfast and found a good spot to sit and wait.
 There were thousands of people lining the streets that morning, all searching the skies.  We weren't sure which way to look, where it would come from, or what time!

 After an hour or so, the natives started getting restless.  I kept telling them that "one day they will thank me for this" speech.  Here, I think they were throwing acorns into the cess pool below...
Waiting...
 AND THERE IT IS!  Seriously, just appeared over the trees.  So cool.
It tricked us... looked like it was landing on the runway in front of us, then took back off for another 2 passes.
 This was the actual "coming in for a landing."


 We spent the day outside, picnic-ing and playing in the backyard.  Attempt at self-portrait to get all 3 of us in means Mommy has to work her abs and show a few chins...
 Goobers.
 That evening, we skipped church (!!) to go see it up close and personal on the runway.  The traffic to get to Ellington Field was UNREAL.  Once we got there, we were in the line to park for almost 30 minutes.  But it gave me time to get a photo of the sign...
 THOUSANDS of people there.  So cool.
 These pictures crack me up.  Trying to get a picture of the 4 cousins who would NOT be still...
 Seriously, enlarge this one.  Jonathan is PRICELESS!
 My crummy camera phone is ill-equipped to take pics of moving targets!  Again, Jonathan.... hilarious.
 B on Daddy's shoulders.
 AMAZING.  They'll thank me for this one day! :)
 
 The video is sideways, I don't know why nor how to fix it.  If you want to watch how cool this was, lay your head down on your left arm and get comfy.  :)  This was the 2nd landing-fakeout.  So it was even LOWER the third time when it actually landed!  Did I mention it was SO COOL!?!?  :)

1 comment:

Alli said...

I'm jealous you got to see it! Someday they WILL thank you. Stupid California for getting to keep it...I don't get it!