Sunday, December 10, 2006

And We Have Liftoff!!!

Yippee! Last night was a HUGE one for our family. Discovery finally took off for the Space Station yesterday evening... the first night launch in almost 5 years! It was huge for several reasons. First, it is always a huge deal when the shuttle launches. Unfortunately, it doesn't get near as much press as it should. That thing weighs like 3,000 tons or something, and it goes into space. Unreal. But it was huge for us because David has been training this shuttle crew for almost 2 years, and it is his first flight where he is the "lead" for the EVAs. I kept saying "can't believe your friends are on that thing!!" He has gotten pretty close to these guys, so it is really cool to think about them being in space. Also, our family picture is on that rocket!! I can't wait to get it back, along with all the stats of how fast it flew, how many thousand miles, how many orbits, etc. Too cool. And lastly, this means that I get to take Reagan "home" for Christmas to be with my family and friends in the Metroplex. The backup plan was to have Mom, Dad, Adam and crew to come here for Christmas, but David should now be done in time to not have to work over the holidays. YIPPEE!! Now we just pray for a safe, everything-goes-as-planned, 12 day mission and a safe landing.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Okay-if we don't get together while you are hear-I will be hacked! :) So call me and let's get together-even if it is for an hour-I will come to your parents if I must just call me!