Monday, November 05, 2007

No Response Necessary

Yesterday's sermon at church was a doozy... in a good way. One of those that I cried the whole way through. Big shock, I know. :) Bruce was preaching on the Good Samaritan, a story I have heard countless times from every angle... at least I thought. But this one started a new series for a few weeks on compassion: how to really grow from empathy to compassion for people where they are. The thoughts were great, but the end was the doozy part. Each week he is having someone from the congregation get up and tell their story... something big they are going through... and how best for "us" to show compassion to them and support them through their struggle. Of course, yesterday's was a dad going through cancer treatment.

So yeah, you can imagine my tears. (Just humor me for a minute, because we all know (Mom) that I don't usually use my blog for journaling purposes or write without pictures, but I feel the need to have my guts spill a bit!) I just kept praying over and over the whole time thanking God for the healing He brought to my sweet Mom 15 years ago, conquering that horrible disease that we all sport the pink ribbons for. I kept thanking Him that Daddy's reports seem "ok" and that he should come out on the other side of his treatment stuff good as new. I kept thanking Him that Houston has WONDERFUL cancer options and that it means I get extra special Daddy/daughter (and granddaughter!) time in the next few months while he is cured. The dreaded "C" word has touched both my parents, and it looks as if our stories will only be happy ones! How amazing and faithful has GOD been to my family?!?!? Seriously!

Also, as a side note, a 5 year old girl (who is 6 now) from the preschool at church where I worked last year named Chloe was diagnosed with stage 4 leukemia last spring. Her family along with all of us were beyond devastated. She has been in treatment for 9 months, and they announced at church yesterday that she is CLEAR! Her mom's letter spoke of a conversation between her and Chloe, the little girl asking "Mommy, does this mean that my cancer is gone?" and her response being "yep, angel, looks like God took it away!" Everyone was clapping and rejoicing of course with the news! I pray and pray that I never have to explain to my daughter or my niece or any little angels close to me why they have cancer, but MAN, can you imagine what faith that little girl will carry from this telling people God took it away!? Seriously!

And borrowing the title from Julie, there is no response necessary really. I just needed to get some things off my heart and onto my keyboard. Cancer sucks, and I pray God brings a cure soon. But until then, I pray that I can be compassionate to anyone touched by this dreaded disease. I pray God is glorified immeasureably through my Daddy's treatments. I pray this is the last time the "C" word affects my family personally! And I pray that God builds my faith enough to weather whatever the next storm is...

Ok, I feel better now. Go call or hug your parents!!!
Love - J

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Yes, cancer does suck! Part of me wonders if they will ever find a cure. With the millions and millions made off of those who are sick...would the medical field really be OK with finding a cure? That would mean less money for them. ?? ...Well, don't get me started on the subject of medical companies and insurance. That's a whole different post! (Have you seen the movie Sicko?)

I'm so happy that your mom beat cancer all those years ago (I remember praying for her at camp!) and that it looks like your daddy will come out of this as good as new as well!! They are such sweet people and the world is a better place with them in it. We know who to thank.

Cancer has affected 2 of my grandparents and it's a hard thing to watch. I pray that neither one of us have to deal with that awful disease ever again! Wouldn't that be nice! :)

It's sermons like the one you heard yesterday that make you realize what is important in life and to not sweat the small stuff!

Mauri said...

You bless my life with your words, and your friendship. I love you. That is all the response I have. ;)

Marcia said...

Wow great blog! Love ya girl!!

Julie said...

Yup it sucks. I love the visual of God taking it away. Like you would scoop the pumpkin seeds out of a big pumpkin. Just scoop it away and make the insides nice and smooth and clean. I guess that we all have things that we need God to take away. Please know, and I know that you do, that I am praying for your Daddy. I love him too!! So, so much. PS...if you really didn't want a response then...you are dreaming.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

love you buddy!

I am be intentional about not getting sappy since you said not to respond :)

Susan

Addison said...

You know how years ago when you were stuck in your house, heavily medicated and your life "sucked". You were the one who put these scriptures on my heart for almost any situation that came into my life that was troublesome. oh yes, Romans 5:3-5 "Rejoice in your sufferings. Suffering produces perserverance;perseverence, Character, and Character, hope. Hope does not disappoint us.. But God's love fills us with the Spirit." Ok, that may not be word for word out of the bible - so go read it - But what I'm trying to say is His spirit will fill you during this time and take you thru your journey when you don't want to go any further. And yes, your perseverence will teach many of us - again! - and the Hope of being cancer free is what we are striving for, for now, with your Dad. But isn't it awesome all the lessons that we will learn and those around us when we go thru something like this. We are going to pray this out of him.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts - you're a Shining light to many!

Alli said...

Necessary or not, here's my response. You are one of the most compassionate people I've been blessed to know & I think God uses you in that way more than you know. Thanks for your thoughts on the sermon, & tell your daddy I'll be praying for him to keep on beating it. I love you!
Allison

Rachel said...

We are praying for your daddy - I'm glad he'll get to be there with y'all. Keep me posted! Love you!

Ashley said...

So very true - love you

Amy Pennington said...

Jodi...
I was just blog hopping tonight and wanted to let you know that I will you keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Your strength is evident in the words you write. I know we don't have a lot of history together, but please know that I am concerned for your father and hope he recovers quickly and as painfree as possible.
Amy graves Pennington