Saturday, June 18, 2011

Oh, the preciousness.....

We've been out of town, and that means that I have an abnormal amount of pictures to go through and document.  But that has to wait while the unpacking, laundry, Father's Day festivities of the weekend commence.  So until then, I have to write down this story before I forget.
~
While we were in East TX last week, I took the girls to have dinner at my grandparents' house in Daingerfield.  It was a great visit.  They have a fabulous back porch with a brick wall for a "balance beam" and some steps to play on.  Brooklyn needed some help from Mommy for both of those activities, and strangely enough, Reagan didn't understand why. 
Sweet thing asks "Why do you have to help Brooklyn on the stairs, Mommy?" 
I kinda prompt her to answer her own question, and she says "Oh yes, because of her braces."
"And why does Sister have to wear braces?"
"Because of her spina bifida."
"Right.  She's little still, and her legs aren't quite as strong as yours, so sometimes she needs extra help for stuff like this.  No big deal"

Then, in such a way that filled my heart to BURSTING, Reagan walked over the Brooklyn.  Squatted down in front of her, leaned in forehead to forehead, and whispered,
"I love you just the way you are, Brooklyn."

As I started weeping and my heart melted to mush right there on the concrete, I hugged both the girls and told Reagan that God REALLY knew what he was doing when He picked such a special big sister for Brooklyn.  She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "You don't need to cry happy tears, Mommy.  I just love her just the way she is, that's all."  So matter of fact.

Funny, I learn a lot from that matter-of-fact-ness in my almost 5 year old.  I love her simplicity, her spunk, and her heart so very very very much.

7 comments:

amie said...

Thanks for making me cry!!

Tracy said...

Awwwww!!!!! :) What a SWEET big sister! She has the kindest heart :)

Mauri said...

Whew! The tears are streaming over here. No wonder Jesus said the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I pray the tender heart of this precious girl never loses this simple understanding of love!

Emily said...

Sweetness...

Amy said...

Oh my word, tears in my eyes!! Sweet, sweet sisters! I love this story. Been praying for you as always, love you!

Alli said...

Oh wow, what a precious thing to say...and we know that kids don't mince on their words! :) Sweet girls you are raising!

Stacia said...

catching up on all your blog posts. I'm so excited for all of B's progress!! And this post just melted my heart!! You have precious gifts but you already know that :)